It was all supposed to be an easy run, but sometimes it is so hard not to throw in a little bit of speed., it just feels so good. Anyone else have trouble with this?
I also did a BodyRock.tv workout that left me a sweaty mess on the floor. I do confess that I have been really lax lately with my cross training so I am going to try to get back to three BodyRock workouts a week again. I think part of it is that they are traveling right now and not posting new workouts daily. Lame excuse considering the hundreds of old ones I could go back and do I know. I think the other part has just been the heat and a little bit of laziness.
I saw an article in the Western Ag Reporter (bonus points to anyone who has heard of it or read it) and thought it interesting enough to share.
This might not have a lot to do with running except that we all love to eat and need to refuel our bodies. The average age of the full-time American farmer is 58, the oldest at any time in the history of our country. If they all retire at the average retirement age of 65 think of the problems we could have. Why aren't young people returning to the farm? The allure of the big city draws them in, they can work less and make more and have a lot less stress. Farming/ranching has high input costs and just like the price of fuel they are going up exponentially. For a young person trying to get a farming or ranching operation off the ground the costs are almost too overwhelming too overcome.
There are currently about 210,000 full time farmers and ranchers in America. That is how many people walk through Walmarts doors every 21 minutes. The population of America is over 300 million people. It seems like there is always something on the news about the farmers receiving these big government subsidies. The farm policies in this country actually only account for less than one quarter of 1% of the federal budget.
The whole point of this is when the topic comes up, we should be supporting the less than 1% of Americans that help feed the other 99% and help make it easier for young people to enter the farming and ranching business. Every time the politicians look at cutting the federal budget the old Farm Bill gets the ax taken to it. We should be supporting policies that help them and help hold the thin green line.
Compared to other major agricultural producers around the globe, the U.S. ranks near the bottom of the subsidization and tariff scale.
- The most profitable side of the food business is in processing and marketing, not the farmer’s share. In fact, for every dollar that consumers spend on food, farmers receive just 20 cents.
- Of the $4.39 retail price of a box of cereal, farmers receive just 8 cents.
- Of the $3.99 retail price of a bag of potato chips, farmers receive less than 10 cents.
How close or how removed are you from the food chain?