Since it tends to get pretty windy here in the spring and fall, I will share my best tips for dealing with the wind.
Here are my tips for running in windy weather
- Get a treadmill. Don't have that option right now like me or you just want to take it outside because you are badass like that, (also like me) read on.
- Given a choice always start by running into the wind and ending with the wind at your back. Getting half way through a run and then turning around and running into the wind makes me cranky and my sweat feel icy if it is cold out.
- Relax your pace goals. Running into a 10 mph headwind can slow your pace by about 8%, with it at your back it speeds you up by about 5%. Now imagine what 20 mph winds must do! Just think of all the extra calories burned by fighting the wind.
- Layer up. I often find on a cold, sunny, but windy day, I need to drop a layer (at least on top) while running with the wind and add it when running into the wind.
- Play mental games tell yourself how much stronger you will be for having done this, imagine you are a jet plane flying through the wind, slicing through it, the wind is your friend, nothing can hold you back, etc, you get the idea.
- Chapstick because who wants dry cracked wind burned lips? Not me. \
- Run earlier or later. At least where I live it seems like the wind is the calmest first thing in the morning and later in the evening, but will blow the feathers off a chicken all day.
- If you can run cross ways with the wind. It never seems as bad to me this way, unless the gusts are hurricane force and they blow you all over the road.
- Have someone drop you off somewhere so that you can run home with the wind at your back. I tried to get my husband to do this once and he mocked me for not being a real runner and dealing with it.
Ever had a run where you felt like you weren't going anywhere because the wind was so bad. I have.
What is your best windy weather running tip?