so what is AfterShokz claim to fame and uniqueness?
- They use bone conduction technology. The ear pieces don't actually go in your ears, they go in front of them. This leaves your ears open to hearing things like cars approaching, people talking, birds singing, and my little doggy's footsteps as he runs beside me. Why is this so great? SAFETY!
- How Bone Conduction Works
Most of what we hear is due to sound waves traveling through the air to the eardrum, which then converts the sound waves to vibrations and transmits them to the inner ear. Sound waves can also get to the inner ear through direct vibration of the bones in the head which carry the vibrations directly to the inner ear, bypassing the eardrums. This is how a person hears his or her own voice, ans also how whales hear. This pathway of sound is known as bone conduction
- How much I could hear the world around me
- When I use them with my iPhone, I can take and receive calls through the headphones and the mic that is in the controller.
- Very comfortable and easy to forget I had on. I never had to adjust them. They never fell off.
- Controller is easily clipped to shirt or bra.
- I had entire conversations with people while listening to music on these.
- Comes with an awesome carrying case.
- Works with my iPhone and iPod, and iPad. I can use it as a hands free device in my car.
- The case they came in. I also use it to store my iPod and the charging cable for my iPod now. Very handy!
- Since they operate on a battery (it does last about 12 hours) it means another thing I have to remember to charge up. So far I have only had it run out of battery on my once, and really that was my fault since I knew I should charge it and neglected to.
- If you are looking for pristine sound quality this is not for you. The sound is pretty good, but since it leaves your ears open.
- These retail for 79.95
- If you have the music up loud or put the earphones around your neck others around you can hear it too. Which may be annoying for some, especially in a race.
- They are water resistant but not water proof, so they aren't good to wear in the rain.
What the whole thing looks like in case you were curious.
What do you think?