1. Helps you beat SAD (seasonal affect disorder) I have read lots of study reports talking about how getting outside helps lift the mood, increase energy and keeps you motivated to get back out there another day. Plus it's so beautiful out, you can't help but love being outside.
2. My favorite part of winter running.. it isn't hot. I hate running hot and all summer dream about those sunny 20-30 degree runs, which seem really rare this winter. It's just been cold. Colder than normal for like two months now and we are like 20 inches ahead of normal on snow.
3. When you do get a rare day in the winter to wear short sleeves, tanks, shorts, etc..it's heavenly and when spring really hits, you appreciate the feel of the warm (not hot yet) sun on your bare arms and legs as you run not to mention suddenly you have a third less running laundry!
4. You gain mental toughness, you know you can handle running outside in all kinds of conditions.
5. People think you are either crazy or a badass for running outside in the winter. They will ask you with a confused look on their face "you don't run outside in this kind of weather do you?" Yes, actually I do! All the way down to -20. With the proper layering it's really no big deal, but I'll take the badass.
Link up with Running on Happy & Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup!
Don't forget to link back to your hostesses and visit other bloggers :)
I am complete opposite. Love running in the heat and hate the winter....hahaReplyDelete
Haha! And yes, I do think running outside in the natural light helps keep SAD away!ReplyDelete
I also agree that I like winter running because it's not hot. I HATE running in the summer because it's just so gross!ReplyDelete
-20? Brrrr! I usually call it a day in the single digits. All depends though -- sun? Wind?ReplyDelete
Today it's a treadmill day -- cold AND windy, plus freshly snowed on roads means there's a lot of ice lurking around.
Mental toughness? Yes. And yes, I hate running in the heat too!
Totally agree that it helps you beat the symptoms of SAD. Even getting outside for a little bit in the wintertime really help my mood. Happy running!ReplyDelete
Confessions of a mother runner
great list! except for the running in the -20! that sounds rough!ReplyDelete
Happy Friday! I have grown to appreciate winter running. I love the smell of winter... I know you know what I mean!ReplyDelete
Great reasons to love winter running! Sometimes you just do what you gotta do. #optoutside :)ReplyDelete
Running outside in the winter definitely makes you tough! And its so much easier to run in the cold than in the heat.ReplyDelete
Lol! Definitely crazy or badass... I usually get both. But I MUCH prefer running hot because I totally suffer from SAD and it sucks. Where's summer??ReplyDelete
Love all of them but I'd have to say the black is my favorite!!! ��