Sometimes it seems like my Garmin loads really fast, and other times it seems to take FOREVER. so what do you do. Usually I am standing around outside ready and anxious to head out on my run, but I don't want to start before it has found satellites. Heaven forbid some of my run might not be documented or I might not know how fast I am running.
1. Stand there with my wrist up above my head hoping that getting it as close as I can to a satellite will help it load faster. An arms length could make a big difference don't you think? Sometimes I wander around aimlessly and other times I hold as still as I can so the satellites can find me easier.
2. Lately I have taken to doing lunges while I wait. Yesterday I did 162 of them (no kidding) before my Garmin and the satellites managed to find each other. Usually I only get to about 80 or so and then feel like I have to do 20 more to make it an even 100. Sometimes while doing lunges I hold my arm with the Garmin on it over my head so it can be a little closer to the satellites while I bob up and down. I didn't yesterday so maybe it really does help.
3. Turn on some music on the iPod and start working on my dance moves. I don't usually do this when I think there will be witnesses, although the UPS man caught me once. He already thinks I am crazy though for running up and down these roads so much. He does always have a treat for Cola though when we see him stopped somewhere. Yes I put my arm above my head occasionally while dancing.. you know to speed up the connection to the satellites.
4. If it is really cold and windy out I will race out with my Garmin held above my head and put it in my car and run back inside for about 5 minutes while I do some pushups and squats to help me get warmed up. Although I do find when it is that cold out it is better not to go back inside because then I don't want to go back out and freeze.
5. Occasionally I do get impatient and just start running. I know where a quarter of a mile is so I will run to my mailbox (a quarter of a mile) and then see if it is loaded, this way I know how much distance to add to my Garmin distance. Yes I hold my arm up now and then while running too.
What do you do? Tell me you think it loads faster with it help up to the sky too.
Finally did you enter my awesome compression socks giveaway?