Of course I did sign up again a week later for another half marathon in two months. Why wouldn't I? I needed redemption. I needed to prove to myself I could do it. I could run a smarter race and have a much better time. I was not going to let one bad race ruin the distance for me. If so many other people loved doing it, surely there must be more to it than I had experienced.
I looked at all the things I did wrong
- went out way too fastA slow early pace conserves greater stores of glycogen, whereas fast early pace depletes glycogen supplies at a horrendous rate-a critical concern in any race over 5K. The rapid glycogen burn results in a large increase in lactic acid-translating into a much slower pace.
Jeff Galloway, in his book Galloway's Book on Running, claims that for every second you run too fast in the first 3 miles, you'll run as much as 10 seconds slower per mile at the end in a 10K. Presumably, in an extended event like the half marathon, the slow down will be more dramatic than this.
Thus, a moderate early (even) pace or negative split race minimizes the threat of glycogen depletion and reduces your chances of premature exhaustion-your energy is economically burnt during the entire race.
- did not hydrate well for the heat or at all. It is recommended that runners consume about 6-8 oz of water for every 20 minutes of running
- No gels: some people say you don't need them for a half marathon, but I find them beneficial if not physically then mentally. I like to use Shot bloks or chomps. I find they go down better than gels for me. I like water to wash them down, so I find wearing a hydration belt is helpful.
- HYDRATE at EVERY water station
- Bring some energy gel, take at miles 5 and 9
- Do not go out like a gazelle
- Try to get a negative split (first half slightly slower than the last half)
Sunday I have my fourth half marathon and you can bet I am excited about it! It is the race that got my picture in Runner's World in July. Do you see me in the blue shirt and hat on the right behind the sunflowers?
I applied for a Team Refuel grant and you can help me by voting for me HERE. The voting period lasts a month and will run to October 15th. So I will be begging for you all to send votes my way as you can vote once a day! I encourage all of you to apply for the grants also. I think they will have three more rounds of handing out the grants. They can be for an individual or a team. You would all make me so happy if you sent a vote my way!
Finally linking up with Fitness Friday Blog hop over at Life..As I see It. Click here to check it out
could this be you? Dog not included..
here. Besides being super cute she has a fun blog and has had some really great giveaways lately.. None of which I have won, but I won't hold that against her. :) Congrats Christina (she also has a really awesome name)(I am really a Christina on my birth certificate but I don't know that I have ever gone by that name)
Tell me you favorite, best, craziest whatever racing strategy for a half marathon. If you have not ran one just tell me your favorite, best strategy for racing in general!