I ran a half marathon for fun yesterday although I am not sure all of it was fun as it was so windy. EEEK! Not my favorite. It wasn't too bad for the first 5 miles, but then it really picked up and made 4 of the last 8 miles seem really long.
I do run in the wind quite a bit, I don't have a treadmill and I don't belong to a gym. I used to look outside and think.."NOPE" but now I just get mentally prepared and pick my route accordingly. Here are my best tips for running in the wind.
1. If at all possible run into the wind to start with, this is great for several reasons. It makes for a run with a negative split. If it is cold out, you get the coldest part of the run done first and it helps mentally to know once you get halfway done the hardest part is over and you can practically fly on the way back.
2. If you have long hair do yourself a huge favor and put your hair into a braid or a bun. I made the mistake of putting my hair into a ponytail for a windy 6 miles on Saturday. I was nearly crying trying to brush out the tangles afterwards.
3. Layers are your friend if it is cold out. I often find that while running with the wind I get warm and lulled into taking off my jacket and gloves, but when I start running into the wind I start getting cold, so if I have to shed layers I make sure to keep them with me.
4. Run cross ways into the wind. It never seems quite as bad to me this way.
5. Remind yourself how much tougher this is making you and all the extra calories being burned. Running in tough conditions helps make you stronger mentally and physically. It also makes those perfect running days seem that much more awesome.
What is your best windy weather running tip?
Would you rather run in the wind or in the rain?
I think I would rather do rain, if it isn't windy or too cold out.